Friday, April 25, 2008

meaning

I went upstairs tonight to help put K-squared to bed - albeit, after N did the hard stuff, and after hearing "NO! AAAAAAUGHHHHHHH!" Apparently K1 felt it necessary to scrub the toothpaste residue out of the sink with his toothbrush. So I get upstairs in time to see K1 dragging one foot while hopping on the other to his room, and K2, wearing only a rainbow color pair of "big girl" panties clutching her two favorite blankets and running around yelling "I found them, I found them", when the reality is N found them (in my closet) with several stuffed animals and who knows what else and simply put them where they belong - but K2 found them, and was overjoyed. And N isn't smiling, but I am and here's why: this is a perfect moment. One that I will remember fondly for years to come - one where I see my children as both the innocents they are and the adults they will become, and am equally proud of both. It's a moment where I wish I had the damn camera, but really don't need it because the scene is so indelibly etched in my mind - a snapshot if you will of the good times. It's a worry suspending moment where I can forget the pitfalls that will come for these two beautiful urchins and can appreciate just how much fun they are and how bright the world seems for them. My world is brighter because of them. Today was a good day.

5 comments:

The Ravsten's said...

I'm so sure you call them urchins instead of midgets? What's up Brian?

Nataluscious said...

I can literally feel the sun coming out and brightening up our lives as I read this post. I love that you notice the little things, and take such pleasure in them.

(Though K1 scrubbing the sink with his own toothbrush was NOT a moment to take any pleasure in)

Unknown said...

Auntie is proud that K1 is carrying on her legacy. Whenever I have a tough day I just remember that my favorite kids on earth are making you earn your parent badges :)

dvecchio said...

SOmetimes it feels like we need hazard pay while earning our "parent badges" and I can't wait until they turn 18 and send them off - other days it's so easy and I wish we could hold on to that moment or those few moments and squeeze every ounce of joy out of them

dvecchio said...

as for Nat - it really is the little things that make life sweet